Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Geico Makes You Cool


Geico has gone to great lengths to produce multiple ads that show art pieces in a gallery that are able to communicate about their insurance, but one ad really kept with me. The above as show two girls that see the stereotypical "geek" as cool because he has Geico Insurance and the other "cool" painting doesn't.

You hardly ever see this in ads, but you actually see women objectifying men. Initially I found that super weird because this is one of the first ads I have ever seen that shows  the objectification of men. When the girls initially saw the "cool" painting and "liked" him based on looks, but it was not until they realized that they didn't have Gieco insurance shows the stereotypical way that when find men attractive based appearance.

Geico uses this psychosocial approach by saying "it makes you cooler and more attractive if you have Geico Insurance" through the commercial. Through this ad, I could tell that Geico targets the majority consumer insecurity, beauty and being the dominant beauty, to sell their product.

Every time I go onto Hulu or CW TV and see this ad, I just want to turn my computer off. I find this advertisement annoying and stupid, but in general, I find the blunt objectification of women and men something that we should be trying to change in our society, not promote through ads.

What do you think? Is this type of objectification of men okay? Have you seen other ads like this?

No comments:

Post a Comment