Monday, October 7, 2013

“I have been waiting for this moment for all my life”








I was beyond excited when I came across this Cadbury chocolate advertisement while surfing the net this weekend. It took me back to over two years ago where I would drop whatever I may have been doing to sprint to the living room whenever I would hear the song come on at home. Patiently I'd wait till the gorilla started drumming and I would happily imitate its movement with just as much passion. Back then, I never really understood how the drumming gorilla and the chocolate were related, but I enjoyed the energy of the ad and that’s all that mattered. When I saw the ad this weekend, I saw it in a slightly different way. Because I knew that the ad was for chocolate already, I was able to link parts of the ad to the product. Not only did it have awesome music! But I could relate to the amazing taste of Cadbury milk chocolate melting in my mouth the same way that tough gorilla melted into the feel of that song through its drumming. It sort of reminded me of the days where I would sit down after a long day and enjoy my favorite snack. As I’d take a bite, I’d taste all my favorite flavors explode in my mouth.

This ad did an effective job is portraying what a joyful moment it is to be able to take a break (at some point) and enjoy the things that bring us joy (Cadbury chocolate, most definitely!) This is primarily how most advertisers get us to relate to their products. They target our emotions: passion, love, anger, joy and they use these to draw our attentions and sell us the idea that they sympathize with us when were down and they celebrate with us when we’re happy. This leads us to find comfort in their product.
This ad continues to win me over and it remains my all-time favorite. 

No comments:

Post a Comment