Tuesday, October 22, 2013

Why Nike

   During the fall break, I went to Boston and found a shoe store that sold famous sports shoes such as Nike, Adidas, Jordan and New Balance. The shoes were on sale, and a pair of new pair of Nike would cost $105. My friends said: ”Wow, the price was fair! ”

  When we took another look at the corner of the store, there laid pairs of shoes with no brand on it, and sellers sold them at the price of $50, and I thought that was really expensive.

  However, I didn’t think Nike shoes were much more comfortable than the other shoes, and the design was not better either, but I would perhaps spend a hundred dollars on a pair of Nike instead of a pair of shoes without brand, because it was Nike, that was the brand that everyone is familiar with.

  To tell the truth, I didn’t think that Nike attracted me that much, but I just enjoyed the feeling of wearing the same shoes as others do and being part of them so I’m not bothered by explaining what’s the brand of the shoe and why I bought it, and if everyone is wearing it, I would unintentionally persuade myself that I did feel more comfortable in Nike shoes.

  Though we are now in a society of free marketing, monopoly exists. Once a brand is widely recognized and supported by people, it is giving great pressure to other substitute products. People would not give other products chances for them to show their advantages but focus on earliest one that grabbed their attention, and I think that might be why companies put great effort on advertising their products, they are grabbing consumer’s attention and try to become the ”first chosen one ”

1 comment:

  1. Think of all the mental gymnastics we go through, to justify the purchase of a simple pair of shoes. It's exhausting--and it's brain space and energy that could so profitably be used elsewhere.

    ReplyDelete