Wednesday, October 2, 2013

iPhone Scam

Well of course, the newest things in technology this month are the newest iPhone models! The questions that go through everyone's head when thinking about this huge dilemma: the 5s or 5c? Either or, it's a bunch of wasted natural resource. It's going to replace itself next September and is not meant to last. 

The Story of Stuff, a short animated documentary directed by Louis Fox and told by Annie Leonard states an important fact about marketing in the US--the idea of planned obsolescence. Planned obsolescence is the idea that things are made to not last. When I saw this, I thought..WHAT?! Why would it even make sense to make things that don't last. 

iPhones are not meant to last for more than about 3-4 years. They slow down and eventually malfunction. The sad part is that Apple built these phones with this in mind and updates their phone models every year. They purposefully market their phones to not function and are useless. What would consumers do then? Recycle them? Throw them out? Waste the aluminum/ plastic that it took to make the actual phone? Apparently, yes.

Yet, are people still going to buy it? Yes.. sad part is, I have.

What do you think?

*I mention Apple because it seems to be the most populated phone on campus*


2 comments:

  1. What's weird is that I think everyone secretly knows that their technology is not going to last, and we know that there will be new phones coming out. I do find it dumb that iPhones can't last more than half a decade, but i just find it a way to adjust to the consumer market. what is nice about the 5s and the 5c is that is allows an increase in range of consumer because one might be considered too pricey for their liking. I understand that idea that this may be wasting materials, but it is the only way a company can stay in the market: change continuously.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I think technology market is a little different from other markets -- technology changed so fast. In addition, Apple company is also a little different from other mobile phone companies -- iphone is the only mobile phone Apple made. (Well, now, they finally have two type: 5c and 5s.) So, therefore, changing iphone gradually is almost the only way Apple can use to hold a certain part in technology market. For me, actually, I bought a iphone 4s after 5 coming out, because I found 4s is enough and proper for me. I don't think I will get a 5s soon, and I may wait for 6s or even 7! That's how I treat with technology =)

    ReplyDelete