Sunday, October 6, 2013

Most of the people I know (including myself) aren't interested in going clothes shopping very often. Seldom does a store have enough inventory that interests me that I feel a need to buy everything on their racks. How is this problem solved? Companies slap a huge 40% off sticker on everything and all the product seems so much more enticing. It's the perfect ploy to get customers to buy more. Even at half off, companies can still make enough profit to be pleased. It's easy math: 50% off means people will buy twice as much, which is really the ultimate goal.

Old Navy is one of my favorite stores because of all the deals it gives to it's cardholders. This past Thursday they offered 40% in store on everything I could possibly want. In order to get this deal, I trekked out alone on the bus on a school night. It goes without saying that my homework was neglected in favor of getting new clothes. After an entire month of not shopping for anything, stepping into the store felt therapeutic. Rows and rows of shirts and sweaters and pants were displayed, and I was overwhelmed by my choices and I was ready to shop. I'm the perfect example of the customer they're trying to reel in. I'm on a budget, it's beginning to get cold outside, and their store was filled to the brim with sweaters upon sweaters. After I had saved about $80 at the register, the cashier handed me another coupon. If I spend $75 or more at the time marked on my coupon, I get $30 super cash. What could be better?

Sales are the ultimate trick, not only do they get the customer inside the store, but they also encourage them to buy more. It's easier for customers to rationalize their purchases, and it's much easier to push the company's product.

No comments:

Post a Comment