Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Google's Interest-Based Advertising


My favorite pair of black leggings was wearing thin, so I decided to see if I could find them for sale online. Who knew that typing letters into a Google search would cause so much trouble?

(an ad for Marika in the header of a website)


I was bombarded with Marika ads every time I went online: above article titles, below my email’s inbox, in the Facebook newsfeed margins. There was always some discount I could receive by going back to Marika’s home site. I was always tempted when the price of the leggings I wanted went from expensive to merely moderately expensive, but I held strong, never clicking on the ads.

Unfortunately, I may not be as strong next time. Google has implemented “interest-based advertising” that analyzes a person’s Internet browsing history in order to supplement web sites’ margins with advertisements that fit the Google user. 

Apparently there is a method to blocking Google’s wandering eyes from your search history, but most people do not know how to go about this and many are too busy too edit the ads they see.

Some people may prefer seeing advertisements that present images of goods the viewer wants. On the other hand, some Google users may find it disconcerting that buttons they press on a keyboard can alter their entire online experience. There are over 5 billion searches on Google per day on average. It is impossible to imagine the magnitude of people affected.

No comments:

Post a Comment